This week, I’m having a friend over who can’t eat dairy.
And that got me thinking: What type of meals are good for vegans and non-dairy folks?
Although my husband and I don’t eat a ton of meat (just 1-2 meals per week), I do love my butter, milk and cream. On the other hand, I don’t miss those things one bit in a good curry!
I bet we all have a friend, neighbor or loved one (or maybe you’re vegan yourself), and we all need some quick and flavorful meal ideas to make sure we/they’re not missing out. Obviously, these are great ideas for vegetarians, too!
So, here are my and your 25 vegan meal ideas (with the help of my wonderful Facebook friends):
1. Asian, Thai and Indian dishes
I think we can all agree that Asian food in all of its varieties are a great go-to for vegan meals.
- Stir fry (minus the egg) or noodle stir fry
- Soba noodles in a peanut sauce (minus the chicken)
- Fried rice (minus the eggs)
- Pad Thai (minus the eggs)
2. Chickpeas rock!
Chickpeas or garbanzo beans are such a great source of protein and can really absorb other flavors…and they’re vegan!
- Falafel (minus the yogurt sauce)
- Curry chickpeas and rice
- Chickpea picatta
- Chickpea taco bowls
- Chickpea avocado salad (minus the mayo or use vegan mayo)
- Stuff a baked sweet potato with chickpeas!
3. Coconut milk and curry are your friends
Coconut milk is a great way to not use dairy and still get that creamy consistency. I’m a huge fan of combining curry paste (red or green) with coconut milk, veggies, broth and a few other things to make an incredibly tasty meal.
If you’re someone who doesn’t like curry, then try one of these recipes and see if it doesn’t change your mind:
4. Soup is where it’s at
Soup can easily be cheap, healthy and leave you with lots of amazing leftovers! And it’s simple to make vegan, too.
- Lentil soup (classic or Turkish)
- Roasted garlic potato soup (with vegetable stock)
- Thai soup with potato and squash
- Caldo Verde (Portuguese soup with potatoes and vegan sausage)
These vegan meals are extra fun because they allow you to explore new flavors and embrace other culture’s food traditions!
Other honorable mentions include: